Monday, February 18, 2008

...across the room for ROYALTY...

We are going all out this week to provide room, board and entertainment for our long awaited ROYAL guests.  King Declan (age 7) and Princess Rowan (age 2) have graced us with their presence for the week and we are here to serve!  I travelled to Lethbridge to provide our best transportation back to our home and was told the  loaded '08 Toyota Tundra 4 X 4 was too DIRTY!  The music in the vehicle made the king "crazy" and did we not have any other music we could listen to?  The princess did not "get" that I was the one making great sacrifices of time and sleep to meet them early.  She began and ended every sentence with the same word ... "Papa" as in "Papa!  blah boo pooh me ahh pinky poo blah see Papa!"  
I meant it when I said we're here to serve!  My plan was to cook lasagna for dinner however the king seemed partial to pasta with white sauce and chicken.  I made pasta with white sauce and chicken.  Apparently the sauce was not exactly what the queen mother cooks at home. Hers is whiter than mine, which apparently is skin colour!  The princess spotted every piece of chicken and bacon bits on her plate which she placed on the side of her plate and then ate the pasta. Thankfully dessert was to their liking but then I suppose the royal family purchase their ice cream at the supermarket as well.
Bath time is always a challenge.  One can not be sure whether the princess is more accustomed to showers than baths since she refuses to sit in the tub.  When asked if we should wash her tummy with soap she replied "NO!  Blah pooh boo ah no back!" as she pointed to the soap bottle in my hand and then the spot where the soap had been standing!  In time I discovered the way to get things done is "DON'T ASK!  Just do it!"
As the day draws to a close the dishes sit unwashed on the counter, toys, books and games lie scattered around the house, and my beautiful spa bathroom looks like a family of twelve just got ready for church!   I take my little charges downstairs to their rooms for the night.  King Declan watches as I place Princess Rowan in her bed, pats her little head and whispers "Goodnight Peanut!" before he slips into his own private room.  What a protective little man he is!  As I tuck my little princess in bed she focuses those beautiful big eyes on my face and says "I wuv wu Nana" and I can not think of anything I would rather be doing that very moment!


 

4 comments:

Michele said...

I laughed so hard I cried at your post!!! THANK YOU for taking my children and treating them so well! You are wonderful Grandparents and they are so blessed to have you in their lives! I love you!!!!!!

Stacey said...

Ha! That is so funny! Thanks for the giggle. Sounds like it all ended the way it's supposed to--with a big "I wuv wu"!! Awww, sooo cute!!

Enjoy and have FUN! You can clean up in a week! teehee

Jobina said...

I'm glad to hear that even your kitchen looks a little rough after a day with kids! Tell the Royalty that Auntie Jobina wuvs them!

Anonymous said...

Oh Elayne .... your posts for the "grandparent" week are fantastic! However ....... it makes me NO closer to wanting grandchildren yet! I guess I'm still in the stage where I value ME time (finally) and it still is relatively not so long ago that we became empty nesters. Your musings for the week still remind me clearly of my own motherhood! Thanks for the memories. (Renita)