Tuesday, April 14, 2009

...across the room to share a recipe....

I just have to share this recipe with you in case you might like it as much as we do.  This is a great recipe to play around with.  The original came to me from my nephew Patrick (t.y. Patrick!) but I can't ever leave anything as is and make something different every time I use it.  I call it Patrick's Chick & Chickpea Curry.
The original:  2 chicken legs, thigh and leg; 1 can chickpeas, 1 large can stewed tomatoes, 1-2 good sized onions diced, 1/3 jar curry paste, 1/4 cup half & half cream, chopped parsley.
Cut meat into bite size; brown onions, add chicken, cook until sealed.  Add curry paste and cook 2 min. then add tomatoes and chickpeas, simmer an hour or more.  Dispose of chicken bones, mash up some of the chickpeas if you like to thicken the gravy.  Add cream and garnish with parsley.  Serve with rice.
Today I used leftover chicken breast so I just simply browned the onions in a little oil then added the curry.  After cooking it with the curry for two minutes I added the tomatoes and chickpeas and simmered for 15 min.  Then I added one large cooked potato (cut up) that I had in the fridge, along with a big spoonful of peanut butter and the cut up chicken.  I simmered that for another 15 min., added the cream and parsley.  The addition of the potato turned it into a one dish meal and I just love peanuts and curry in the same dish so that's why I added peanut butter.  No need for rice this time but it's pretty hot if you add as much curry paste as the recipe calls for so I tone it down some.  We still needed a little piece of bread to curb the heat.  I serve it with a green veg. salad with oil and vinegar dressing.  YUMMY!

4 comments:

Jobina said...

I LOVE that recipe! I'm still trying to instill in my children a love for curry though.
I wonder if the flavor would still be as good without the chicken? Hmmm, I may have to tweak this in my kitchen too!

Elayne said...

I think it would work just fine without the chicken and served on rice. Or you could put an extra potato in if you want a one dish meal.

Anonymous said...

M-m-m-m! I've "copied and pasted" your recipe into Word and have printed it off. I'll give it a whirl! I'm slowly (very slowly) attempting to wean my husband away from boring meat and potatoes and introducing him to different tastes! I haven't found the perfect curry recipe yet, so this just may be it! I'll let you know!
Renita

Elayne said...

Oh you'll make a believer out of him yet Renita! Wait'll he tastes this stuff!!