Friday, December 16, 2011

...across the room into the beauty of my back yard...


My house is quiet. The evergreens in my back yard stand still and the white blanket of snow covering the ground just lies there doing it's thing. A few dollops of snow cling to the colourful red, green and gold swag I hung on one of the patio bistro chairs. The porch swing is empty and still in the middle of the yard. This is the scene I get to see through my patio doors and windows. The view is so incredibly restful I can not even turn on the Christmas music. No camera could capture the peace this yard speaks to me today. I can identify with Fanny in Jane Austen's Mansfield Park when she said "Here's harmony! Here's repose! Here's what may tranquilize every care, and lift the heart to rapture!"

I have to admit my heart has been lifted to rapture this month as I have gazed in wonder at the beauty of the outdoors, especially the fresh blanket of snow as it glistens in the sunlight. It seems I'm being spoken to about peace, quiet and rest this Christmas season. Even the deer I meet as my friend and I go for our morning walks are quiet creatures. As I wrote the last sentence, Buzz, my neighbours very black cat quietly padded across my back yard, stopping long enough to glance at me through the patio doors. Buzz is a peaceful cat who tries his level best to keep out of trouble. See what I mean? Peace.

Sometimes it seems these peaceful moments are created for me and sometimes I get to order my days in a way that brings calm and rest to my very being. Sooner or later though something happens that disturbs that serenity. In the case of my back yard it could be a strong north wind catching that lovely blanket of snow, lifting it up and tossing it against the windows. The trees no longer would be standing still and the swing might begin to creek as it gets tossed back and forth in the wind. I have no control over a disturbance such as this. I can create my own calm space from time to time only to be disrupted for various reasons.

As much as I sometimes enjoy the hustle and bustle of city life I do enjoy the peace and quiet whenever I can get it. I always seem to be very aware though that those moments have time limits attached to them and I never know when the changes will take place.

This got me thinking some deeper thoughts today. Thoughts about the peace that I have deep inside me that has become stable, sure, and permanent. The peace I'm referring to can not be created by us. It has to come from God since He is the Prince of Peace (Isaiah 9:5..."For to us a child is born, to us a son is given; and the government shall be upon his shoulder, and his name shall be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.") The reason I say this peace inside me HAS BECOME stable, sure and permanent is because as I have immersed myself in God's love letter (the Bible) to us and learned to know more about Him and His character...who He really is, my knowledge has increased and along with that my faith and trust in Him. I believe that what He says is true and with that comes that deep settled peace. As I'm learning to trust Him and apply what He teaches I realize that peace abides in my very being. Philippians 4:6-7 "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made know to God. And the PEACE of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

That peace from the PRINCE OF PEACE far surpasses any temporary peaceful place we may find ourselves in and also takes us through all the ups and downs of our lives. It really is true that we don't have to worry or be anxious about anything and if we talk to God about our troubles He will give us a peace that humanly is unexplainable! It guards our hearts and protects our minds in a way that we cannot even understand! May you experience that sure, forever peace in your lives this Christmas Season and throughout the New Year!




2 comments:

Renita said...

M-m-m-m-m. : )

Jim said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.