Sunday, October 18, 2009

...across the room for my personal review.....

I just read the new Mitch Albom book "Have a little Faith". A quick interesting read and true story about the similarities between an elderly Rabbi and an inner city Detroit Pastor, the characters in the book are the kind of people you want to have in your life. They are interesting, devoted, passionate about what they do and immersed in the lives of the people around them. Neither seem to be concerned about their own comforts and needs and seemingly not at all about their wants. I found a lot of good things in this book about how to live out our faith. While the book kept my attention all afternoon as I read by the fire and keeping in mind Albom reminds us he is not an authority on religion I found that it left me feeling unsatisfied when I finally put it down.

The main reason for that I think is the fact that a search for Truth is not discussed in this book and as far as I'm concerned God and Truth are inseparable. There is really no discussion about the Trinity, or God's greatest Gift to us, His Son Jesus and His work on the cross for our total salvation, the Way, the Truth, and the Life and that no one comes to the Father except through Him. No mention of the blood of Jesus Christ atoning for our sins, and the Holy Spirit who is God in us, empowering, regenerating and comforting us. Personally I just can't gloss over these truths in relating a faith journey.

I get the distinct impression when the author states that he hopes all faiths can find something universal in his story he believes that all "roads" lead to God when the Bible very plainly explains that there is only one way to God and that is through His Son Jesus. I'm very black and white about this and anything less than a clear explanation of God's instruction on how to come to Him leaves me feeling very dissatisfied.

Having said all that, I have to say it was a great read and I wish I could have met the Rabbi before he died. I think I would have liked him a lot!



2 comments:

Michele said...

I would love to go to Detroit and meet the pastor of that inner city church and volunteer there for a day. what an amazing experience that would be! I agree with you on the theological aspect of the book...but I loved reading about these two interesting men from such different backgrounds who gave their time and energy to their communities in God's name.

Elayne said...

I would like to meet him too. I too enjoyed reading about these two men and their passion for what they did.