Sunday, January 11, 2009

...across the room with thanks!...

I could write a book on this topic however I will limit my words to a few.  If you are a regular lurker on this blog you will know that I was bracing myself for a rather sad Christmas this year. Truthfully, it had it's sad moments.  Yesterday and today again I was on the verge of tears much of the time.  At our family get together in Manitoba last Sunday my father said a few words about my sister that set me on a different "track" though.  It wasn't the first time I had thought about this since November when Jean passed away but coming from our Dad, it meant more to me than thinking about it on my own.  He said "I think we can say thank you, because God never makes a mistake".   It was a difficult Christmas for him too.  He lost a daughter, yet he chose to focus on what he could be thankful for!  This is a huge deal any time in our lives but especially in a situation like this.  I started on a course of thanksgiving immediately and realized there was no place to stop!  The list just keeps going and going like the 'energizer bunny' with no stopping point in sight.  This exercise coupled with my Bible reading encouraged and strengthened me like nothing else could.  I won't share my complete list here but I do have to say that at the top of any list like this God is always first.  I read in my Bible that He is always with me and helps me through everything.  He won't ever leave me stranded in any kind of situation. Next is my husband.   Because our relationship has always been a threesome with God I know we can handle anything that comes our way.  I am eternally grateful for his love, commitment, strength, encouragement and support.  My daughters are next on the list.  It's not easy to let daughters grow up and I often feel like they are still my little girls but they have proven themselves to be totally grown up and in doing so, our relationship is a combination of mother/daughter/best friends and I am so grateful for them.  I am thankful and blessed to have the best sons-in-law who I think of as my sons.  I can't imagine my life without either of them and see their love expressed in many ways.  My grandbabies are easy to give thanks for.  Their presence in the home energizes me and their gentle touch sends shivers through me.  I can't get enough of them.  Invisible string seems to attach me to each one and I miss them immediately after they leave.  In thanking God for my Dad and family I can't help but include my in-law family as well.  They are all precious to me.  This year I realized how blessed I am to have incredible nieces and nephews.  These "kids" that I've watched evolve from babies to adults were sending emails and expressing their love and support in my loss and yet they lost an auntie too.  I was amazed to see how they reached out in their pain to comfort rather than focus on being comforted!  It was a beautiful unexpected surprise to me and it meant the world to me these past few months.  Next on my list were my awesome friends.  Each one is unique and has played a very important part in this process I've been in and I couldn't imagine being without even one of my friends.  They truly are the best.  And so the list goes on.  There is so much more.  A song, a book, a blanket of sparkling snow on my back yard, a gift of home made popcorn, a special card, a warm fuzzy scarf, a hug.  My goal this year is to practice being in a state of "thankfulness" every day.   Happiness and joy reside there too.  It is a GREAT place to be!  

4 comments:

Jobina said...

Pretty close to the top of my thankfulness list would be for my parents who drive through ridiculous weather to come and spend time with their family! Thanks to both of you!

Anonymous said...

I agree with Jobina as I've been the recipient of that a few times now. Isn't it wonderful to be thankful? It's almost hard to be sad when you start thinking about how blessed we are! My list is, like yours, a mile long these days. Glad you're back home!

Anonymous said...

Loved getting this reminder so early in the New Year! You have an amazing father. I'm going to be praying for him and for your family. Thank you for sharing your partial list. I am starting my own right now!
Guess Who?

Anonymous said...

So blessed to see your 'attitude of gratitude' in print!
P.B.