Friday, June 8, 2012

....across the room to cry....

I go to visit a very dear elderly lady in a nursing home on a regular basis and today was the day to visit my dear Katie.  Most days she recognizes me immediately but lately she can not remember my name.  Her memory is not what it used to be but I don't mind repeating myself to her at all.  These days she asks at least five times during my visit whether I work at the nursing home and each time I tell her that I do not.  As her memory fails her so does the English language and more and more she slips into her familiar German tongue.  I understand a good amount of her speech but not nearly all of it.   Today we agreed that I would try to learn more of her German language and she would try to learn English from me.   She is very patient with me but insists I use correct pronunciation.  What a great teacher!  We had some good laughs and I was surprised how much German I could come up with.  It was fun and funny at the same time.

Katie is always happy for company.  Nursing homes can be lonely places and it seems there is never enough company for these seniors and Katie is no exception.  I try to visit for an hour each time I go and today it seemed that hour slipped by in no time at all.  Katie loves to have me pray for her and I always do so before I leave.  After I've done that I have to offer my cheek for some kisses because Katie is the kissing kind....usually three in succession!  She always expresses much appreciation for my visits but today she took me completely by surprise as she quietly exclaimed  "THIS I did not dream!"  and as I left her room I could hear her heartfelt  "tank you, tank you, tank you!"  I took another look back as I walked through her door and caught the kisses she was blowing my way as the tears began to flow, washing away the wet kisses Katie left on my cheek.   I was reminded once again how just a little effort and one hour out of my day can completely change another persons day.  Besides, whenever I leave my dear Katie I'm never quite sure who was more blessed during that hour!   Yes, we shared some good laughs, but today Katie made me cry.

3 comments:

Renita said...

Too soon I will be a senior too. Thank you for reminding me that an hour, a word or even a smile can impact a precious life in a magnificent way!

Unknown said...

I visited my grandmother (also German) and accompanied her to the senior center in her neighborhood. I always want to hug everyone in there because many have lost spouses at this point or have a medical problem--yet they get together for ballroom dancing every week! They sure taught me a few things. Thank you for sharing!

siddhartha said...

http://behindyourvision.blogspot.com/
There was a village named Subarnapur situated at a distance of twelve miles from the town Narail. It was a beautiful and quiet village with tree shades and bird's chattering.